top of page

The Education
(Pastoral Care of Tertiary
and International Learners)
Code of Practice 

What is Code of Practice?

NSLS follows the The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice. The Code sets out the minimum standards of non-academic advice and care that are expected of educational providers with respect to international students.

A summary of the code

The Code sets standards for educational providers to ensure that:

  • high professional standards are maintained

  • the recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner

  • information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date

  • students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments

  • contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner

  • the particular needs of international students are recognised

  • international students under the age of 18 are in safe accommodation

  • all providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances

Full details of what is covered can be found in the Code itself. Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website.

Download the code:

The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 [PDF, 1.3 MB]

What do I do if something goes wrong?

If you have concerns about your experience at NSLS, the first thing you should do is contact NSLS to discuss your concerns and your options. If your concerns are not resolved by these internal grievance procedures, you can then pursue an external complaint through NZQA.


If you have a complaint regarding pastoral care and have tried to resolve it with NSLS but have not been able to, you can contact NZQA, a government organization. They can provide an independent assessment of your complaint and will either investigate your concerns or advise you what you can do next. You can submit your complaint query on the NZQA website, or send an email to If you need more information, contact NZQA on 0800 697 296.


Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at

Eligibility for health services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of the treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and travel insurance

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.


bottom of page